Friday, July 13, 2007

I Thes 2-4--Fruitfulness, Love One Another

I'm combining my notes from I Thes. 2, 3 and 4 into one post.

I Thes. 2/3
Paul talks of how he was separated from the Thessalonians, why he is authentic and his message is authentic. In other words, why they should believe him and his message over others. Paul is encouraged by their faith in spite of his short time with them.

I Thes. 4
Paul encourages the Thessalonians to abound more and more- to be more and more fruitful.

We have a little peach tree that was so fruitful this year. The branches were hanging to the ground with all of the fruit! We gave bushels of peaches away and ate plenty ourselves!! It was a good reminder to me to be fruitful and to continue to be more and more fruitful.

We have another peach tree right next to that one that has fruit that never gets ripe. I hope my life is not that that little tree. Seeming to bear fruit that never gets ripe.

For this is the will of God--that you should abstain from sexual immorality.

God did not call us to uncleanness, but to holiness.

Another verse on personal holiness. It saddens me to think of how many people out there think they are Christians and continue to wallow in sin. I pray that will examine themselves in light of the Scriptures to see if they are truly in the way before it is too late.

Love one another--increase more and more.

Loving your brothers and sisters in Christ is evidence of your salvation according to I John. I'm so grateful for the brothers and sisters that He's brought into my life and I pray that I will love them more and more.

I don't have earthly siblings that I'm close to, but I watch my dear children and see the love they have for one another. They don't always agree. And yes there is conflict when fleshly desires prevail, but they do love and learn from one another. I need my Christian brothers and sisters. They help me along this life and point me towards Christ. I hope for them that I do the same.

Aspire to lead a quiet life (don't generate conflict), to mind your own business, to work with your own hands, that you may walk properly toward those who are outside and that you may lack nothing.

I think these verses speak for themselves--being busy in the Lord and not in other people's business. I often think that "ignorance is bliss." And I'm a certified conflict-avoider. Not that that's a good way to handle things either. But I continue to grow in this area. Praise you, Jesus!

The rest of this chapter was about eschatological stuff which I've never really studied much. Although I need to so that I can understand it better.

No comments: