Friday, June 29, 2007

II Tim. 1--Gifts,Fear and Election

Paul wants to "Remind you [Timothy] to stir up gift which is in you."
Was he faltering or wavering in his gifting?)

God has not given you a spirit of fear, but power. love and sound mind.
How many times have I not used my giftings because of fear. I need to remember that the context of this verse was in relation to stepping out with your giftings. In particular, I feel the need to be more courageous in sharing my faith with others. I still struggle with fear. But my desire is for my love of God to overcome my fear of man. Cowardly fear is caused by a weak and selfish character. Only thinking of self. It is not glorifying God or edifying the body.
Love is focusing on pleasing God and seeking the welfare of others before one's own.
Sound mind means focusing on the sovereign nature and perfect purposes of God

He has saved us and called us with a holy calling not according to our works (we can't earn by doing works) but according to his purpose and grace which was given in Christ before time began.
Another verse related to unconditional election. That God saved and called us before time began.

No comments: