Monday, August 27, 2007

I Corinthians 6-Unrighteous Living, Glorifying God

Do not sue a brother. If you have a matter against a brother you should
take it before the saints. It is better to be wronged or cheated than to sue a brother in the Lord.

The unrighteous will NOT inherit the Kingdom. Neither fornicators,
idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals, sodomites, thieves, covetous, drunkards,
revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

I'm amazed at how the church is infiltrated with people who claim to be Christian and yet they continue to wallow in sin. I'm not talking about falling. But diving in the mud and filth. This verse seems very clear that we cannot just continue to behave in these ways and be partakers of the Kingdom of God. There are times when I don't "feel" close to the Lord. And perhaps I am in sin (whether knowingly or unknowingly), but I can't stay there for long and I pray that my response time will become shorter and shorter and I am cleansed more and more by the Lord and the washing of His Word.

You were washed. You were sanctified, you were justified.
Washed=regeneration, cleansed
Sanctified=New behavior, pattern of obedience and holiness
Justified=right standing before God

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful
How true!! Just because my flesh wants to drink Coke everyday (and it's lawful) doesn't mean that it's good for my body. And there are numerous other ways that this verse can apply.

Flee sexual immorality.
It is so easy to fall into temptation and society is inundated with explicit images and bombards us with continual sexually immoral messages. This is an area in which we must protect ourselves. For me, I do not hug or touch any other man but my sweetie. Also, I think it is important to not put oneself in a situation where you are alone with a man...even a Christian man. I think avoiding the appearance of evil in such cases is just as important as protecting yourself and the man from any temptation. Also as women of God, I think it is important to keep your sweetie's love tank full so that he is not tempted.

Glorify God in your body and spirit, which are God's.

This is our ultimate goal...to glorify God in everything we DO, SAY, THINK and FEEL.

No comments: